After a wild weekend, including far too many glasses of punch and champagne to celebrate my gorgeous friend’s 21st birthday, KFC and oreo-cream-cheese truffles (a minor setback on the quitting sugar, but really, can you blame me?), tonight definitely called for a detoxifying, vege and protein packed dinner!
I browsed a few of my favourite food blogs for inspiration before leaving work this evening, and came across a goodie on 101 Cookbooks.
Enter: Lemony Chickpea Stir-fry.
I made quite a few changes to the recipe…
- Substituted coconut oil in place the olive oil. I am obsessed with the stuff at the moment, and it is so good for you (have a look here!). It adds an utterly delicious coconutty flavour to both sweet and savoury dishes. Recently I’ve been mixing a tablespoon into my bowl of porridge in the morning…mmm!
- Replaced tofu with chicken thigh.
- Replaced kale with spinach. Couldn’t find kale at the supermarket – any New Zealanders know where we can find kale around here?
- Added mushrooms. Because they are yum!
- Switched out lemon for lime. My supermarket had run out of lemons, can you believe it?!
Coconut and Lime Chicken & Chickpea Stirfry
2 tblsp coconut oil
1 onion, diced
1 tin chickpeas, drained
2 chicken thighs, cut into chunks
A large handful of mushrooms, sliced
1 large courgette, chopped into chunks
A few big handfuls of baby spinach
Zest and juice of 1 lime
Heat 1 tablespoon of coconut oil over med-high heat in a large frying pan. Add onion, chickpeas and a pinch of salt, and cook for about 10 minutes or so until golden.
Add the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil and the chicken, and stir fry until the chicken is cooked through.
Add mushrooms and courgette, cooking for a few minutes until tender. Add the lime zest, spinach and lime juice, toss and serve.
Chock-full of healthy fats, protein, and veges. The perfect meal to start your week off on the right foot.